Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 Project Inspiration

If you remember, one of my goals for 2014 was to complete 3 "projects" in 2014. To me, anything I can paint/stain/seal/sand/etc with materials I can store in my one bedroom apartment counts. Doesn't hurt if it's practical. Also, doesn't hurt if it's easy. Here are the three projects I'm starting off with:

1. Revamped Filing Cabinet Entry Table


Before I was married, my then-fiance-now-wife Whitney went out with my mom for antiques and came home with this really crappy, rusty, $30 steamer trunk that was bug-eaten and looked terrible. I guess she liked it. Well, anyway, it took me close to 100 hours (mostly because I didn't know what I was doing) to strip off its canvas, painstakingly get the rust off, and refinish the thing but it ended up looking really great and unique... and now I'm really tired of the way it looks. It's the first thing I see when I come in the apartment, it's kind of short for an entry room table, and it doesn't match our apartment. I'm trying to find its replacement.

My wife pinned this filing cabinet revamp on Pinterest months ago, and I've been trying to find three matching filing cabinets for a while now. Not owning a truck and Craigslist generally being terrible means I've had no luck, but I really want to do this and I'm keeping an eye out.

2. Photography Equipment Shelves

My wife's getting pretty darn good at her photography, and as a result, we're accumulating cameras and manuals and straps and bags and lenses and other-stuff-I-don't-even-know-what-it-is. Dear God, it's a lot of stuff, and I've heard about these things called "shelves" that people put stuff on. They seem practical. I wanted to get something that looked like this...



... and mix it with this.


3. Baseball Bats and Axes

It's no secret that most of the people using Pinterest, which is an amazing website, are female. As a result, it's hard to find DIY ideas for men. When I came across some army surplus axes and some practice squad Louisville Sluggers and I bought them on the cheap, thinking I could do something manly with them. They're officially in the trunk on my car, just rolling around, and I don't know what to do with them. They're officially on my project list.

I'll figure something out, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment